A dental implant is a titanium post (like a tooth root) that is surgically positioned into the jawbone beneath the gum line that allows your dentist to mount replacement teeth or a bridge into that area.
- Single-tooth implants can be used in people who are missing one or more teeth. An implant is surgically placed in an opening that your dentist makes in the jawbone.
- After the implant integrates (attaches) to your bone, it acts as a new “root” for the crown that will replace your missing tooth. A crown (cap), which is made to look like a natural tooth, is attached to the implant and fills the space left in the mouth by the missing tooth.
For this procedure to work, there must be enough bone in the jaw. The bone has to be strong enough to hold and support the implant. If there is not enough bone, it may need to be added with a procedure called bone augmentation or bone grafting. In addition, natural teeth and supporting tissues near where the implant will be placed must be in good health.
How Do They Work?
An implant-restored tooth consists of several parts.
- The implant, which is made of titanium,is placed in the upper or lower jawbone
- The abutmentcan be made of titanium, gold or porcelain. It is attached to the implant with a screw. This part connects the implant to the crown. It is shaped like a natural tooth that has been cut down to receive a crown.
- The restoration It usually is made of porcelain fused to a metal alloy (PFM). It also can be all metal or all porcelain. The crown is cemented onto the abutment with a tooth-colored filling material.
Siri Dental Hospital has a team of excellent Implantologists, well-supplemented by world-class equipments. The team uses some of the globally leading brands of implants like Nobel- Biocare, Biohorizon and Adin, which are popular the world over, highly compatible with the human bone and in 90% of the people, lasts a lifetime.